* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I'm being sued
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:55 am 

A few yrs ago we let a small flat to a nurse, she has since met a chap and married him and he has moved into her flat. He it would seem has for many years been employed in a related profession to her and is a mid range pharmaceutical dealer and for some time has been flogging his wares from the flat unbeknown to anybody else including his wife. Finally plod has caught up with him and he was busted a few months ago. He decided not to comply with his bail and the police broke into the flat through an open window and rearrested him and revoked his bail. He is now looking at 7 yrs behind bars. :D

As a result of this the nurse is now on sick leave through stress and has ceased to pay rent, eviction proceedings have commenced.

The nurse has written to us asking us to fill in the forms for housing benefit so she can get a flat elsewhere, give a glowing reference to her prospective new landlord and stop hastling her until after Christmas, she will not be paying any more rent though not clearing her arrears.

She will however be taking legal action against us for compensation because of the suffering we have caused to her by allowing the police to arrest her husband because we had a ladder at the property.

If I wasn't on the end of this crap I would not believe it could happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:05 am 

Phone Hoogstraten, he knows how to deal with the likes of her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:18 am 

I trust this upstanding citizen of the community is being financed in her quest for “wonga” by Legal Aid (ie. You and me)?

I wouldn’t even bother.

In the interests of hilarity, I would like to share with you all a letter supposedly sent by the Inland Revenue to someone who needs to be posting on here

Quote:

Dear Mr Addison ,

I am writing to you to express our thanks for your more than prompt reply to our latest communication, and also to answer some of the points you raise. I will address them, as ever, in order.

Firstly, I must take issue with your description of our last as a "begging letter". It might perhaps more properly be referred to as a "tax demand". This is how we at the Inland Revenue have always, for reasons of accuracy, traditionally referred to such documents.

Secondly, your frustration at our adding to the "endless stream of crapulent whining and panhandling vomited daily through the letterbox on to the doormat" has been noted. However, whilst I have naturally not seen the other letters to which you refer I would cautiously suggest that their being from "pauper councils, Lombardy pirate banking houses and pissant gas-mongerers" might indicate that your decision to "file them next to the toilet in case of emergencies" is at best a little ill-advised. In common with my own organisation, it is unlikely that the senders of these letters do see you as a "lackwit bumpkin" or, come to that, a "sodding charity". More likely they see you as a citizen of Great Britain , with a responsibility to contribute to the upkeep of the nation as a whole.

Which brings me to my next point. Whilst there may be some spirit of truth in your assertion that the taxes you pay "go to shore up the canker-blighted, toppling folly that is the Public Services", a moment's rudimentary calculation ought to disabuse you of the notion that the government in any way expects you to "stump up for the whole damned party" yourself. The estimates you provide for the Chancellor's disbursement of the funds levied by taxation, whilst colourful, are, in fairness, a little off the mark. Less than you seem to imagine is spent on "junkets for Bunterish lickspittles" and "dancing whores" whilst far more than you have accounted for is allocated to, for example, "that box-ticking façade of a university system."

A couple of technical points arising from direct queries:
1. The reason we don't simply write "Muggins" on the envelope has to do
with the vagaries of the postal system;
2. You can rest assured that "sucking the very marrows of those with
nothing else to give" has never been considered as a practice because even if the Personal Allowance didn't render it irrelevant, the sheer medical logistics involved would make it financially unviable.

I trust this has helped. In the meantime, whilst I would not in any way wish to influence your decision one way or the other, I ought to point out that even if you did choose to "give the whole foul jamboree up and go and live in India " you would still owe us the money. Please send it to us by Friday.

Yours sincerely,

H J Lee Customer Relations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:20 am 

The way things are going today Simon, you'd probably be best advised to pay up and save legal fees. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:36 am 

If you are the rightful owener of the property? then you have the right to enter the property to examine it for any defects, decoration, damage that may have occured within the property.
The tenant must allow you or your nominated respresentative access to review the property.

Once in DON'T GO OUT.
Then get a rota sytem in place that ensures somebody you can trust is always in the property.

The nurse at some stage will have to leave to go to work!! Then change the locks.

Once locked out they cannot enter again as it will be classed as forced entry.

Trust me it works.

I'm not bitter. It's just what I drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:36 am 

Send for Paddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:41 am 

I am led to understand that word is reaching the streets as I write to the effect that the police did not find this chaps entire stock and very little of his cash and that his darling wife knows where they are. I expect this poor streesed out nurse will be getting a compassionate visit from her husbands line manager in due course to recover company property. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:53 am 

PaRug wrote:
If you are the rightful owener of the property? then you have the right to enter the property to examine it for any defects, decoration, damage that may have occured within the property.
The tenant must allow you or your nominated respresentative access to review the property.

Once in DON'T GO OUT.
Then get a rota sytem in place that ensures somebody you can trust is always in the property.

The nurse at some stage will have to leave to go to work!! Then change the locks.

Once locked out they cannot enter again as it will be classed as forced entry.

Trust me it works.
I am the lawful owner, and I do have the right on the giving of not less than 48 hours notice in writing to enter the property but cannot enforce this right without the presence of a court appointed bailiff.
Assuming that the court would appoint a bailiff to force entry (which will take months (I know from experience) I would not be able to remain as this would be a breach of her right to "quiet enjoyment" and it would cost me far more in terms of lost productive time or a lackeys wages to flat sit until she goes out.
She is not going out to work anytime soon as she has been signed off on long term sick leave so is probably getting 90% of her pay from the NHS until she feels ready to go back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:02 am 

She will however be taking legal action against us for compensation because of the suffering we have caused to her by allowing the police to arrest her husband because we had a ladder at the property.

Please inform the young lady in question that I intend to take legal action against her to recover the costs of replacing my monitor, keyboard and trousers due to spitting my morning coffee out in astonishment.

Seriously, how on earth does she think she has a case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:06 am 

Quote:
simon.w Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:53 am Post subject:

than 48 hours notice in writing to enter the property but cannot enforce this right without the presence of a court appointed bailiff.
Assuming that the court would appoint a bailiff to force entry (which will take months (I know from experience) I would not be able to remain as this would be a breach of her right to "quiet enjoyment" and it would cost me far more in terms of lost productive time or a lackeys wages to flat sit until she goes out.
She is not going out to work anytime soon as she has been signed off on long term sick leave so is probably getting 90% of her pay from the NHS until she feels ready to go back.
If it has got to this satge

I know a bloke down the pub if you have a spare 5K?

On a serious note, It seem that this piece of gutter tripe may be in more trouble than she thinks?

If she can be linked to criminal activities the court may take your side rather than hers.

The probem is you or the police ( we have two hopes of this happening and one of those is long dead) will have to prove it. Also her bosses would take a very dim view of her knowing that she is an accessory to criminal ctivities!

I'm not bitter. It's just what I drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:26 am 

PaRug wrote:
I know a bloke down the pub if you have a spare 5K?

On a serious note, It seem that this piece of gutter tripe may be in more trouble than she thinks?
!
I've been doing this for 30 yrs or so, I know a couple of blokes who can help if I need them, but thanks for the offer. As the rent in question is only £65 a week and I can refit and redecorate for a couple of grand I don't want to waste money on trying to force her out incorrectly as it would cost more in the long run.
As for being sued, she has no hope of success, it is the sheer effrontery of the woman asking favours and then threatening litigation that bugs me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:44 am 

Not that surprising really. As a product of the compensation culture, she doesn't see any of this as her fault.

Naturally she expects the state to support her whilst she sits on her (probably) fat arse and whinge about how unfair it all is, instead of feeling angry about having been duped by a low life smack dealer and sorry about the damage and distress caused to you the landlord.

England in the 21st century. Don't you just love it ? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:50 am 
Site Admin

You presumably have not received any writ from her yet.

Tell her in those immortal words of Johm McEnroe "You cannot be serious".

I can't believe any solicitor will take up her case. As for her getting Legal Aid for this, I think not.

The Police re-arrested this bloke as he had broken his bail condtions.

If they had not used the handy ladder they would have simply busted your door in. I presume they used the handy ladder to avoid causing any more damage to the property than was neccessary. If the ladder had been secured using say a padlock the police would have busted it easily anyway.

As tenants, if they'd perceived the ladder being there to be any kind of 'risk' they should have either purchased a padlock themselves and asked you for the money or asked you to secure it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:13 pm 

The ladder belonged to our maintenance man who was on site at the time, we don't leave them lying about. The officer asked to borrow it. She is also threatening to sue him as well.

No writ has been issued and I do not think one will be, our litigation system is not quite as cocked up as the press would have us believe. There is a solicitors letter however which my brother (business partner) has as he is seeing our solicitors about this.

I have just reread her letter to us asking for the help and noticed something I had missed earlier; she wants her £350 deposit back, hell will freze over first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:19 pm 

It falls to me to refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v Pressdram.

:lol: