Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Back to the Dark Ages?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:38 am 
Site Admin

WTF is going on in this country?

Whilst our goverment has had it's finger up its arse worrying about crucial issues such as Flash Gordon's hairstyle, clothes, wife, nosepicking and his rolling jaw it would appear that there is another elephant in the room.

Daily Mail wrote:
Homes could be plunged into darkness this winter as the nation faces the shocking prospect of power cuts.

The warning, following the release of grim industry figures yesterday, will dredge up memories of the last electricity crisis in 1974.

Then, households had to manage with candles, factories were put on short-time and TV broadcasts ended at 10.30pm.

The figures from the National Grid suggest that the country could be crippled by energy shortages when the colder weather bites because there is so little spare capacity.

Quite frankly this is all we need on top of all the other ZNL crap going on already. Just what has ZNL actually been doing for the last 10 years? Apart from sending our troops to fight wars that have absolutely bugger all to do with us and wondering which minority group / quango is going to be the next recipient of our 'hard earned'. Sweet FA that's what. Bastards.

get the candles in

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:42 am 

Can we expect another baby boom then?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 am 

Batteries, Converters keep the home fires burning and like. Gee Whiz dad I thought all these rich bastards would be rigged and ready by now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:26 am 

Yet another classic Mail non story.

This has being doing the rounds in proper newspapers for ages. Difference being of course that they reported the facts and did not turn it into what the Mails excels at - instilling fear.

Note the (thirty four year old) Union bashing. Not just any old Union but the National Union of Miners. Boo, hiss, shame.

How could we not weep as we see the photograph of A Mother preparing food by candlelight.
I suspect that only for reasons of decency were we spared the details of pensioners selling their bodies in order to feed the meter.

There is no mention of course that the whole three day week farce was a deliberate act by the Heath Government to attempt to win the moral highground in its battle with the miners. It was widely acknowledged as being a massive overkill. Neither is there even the most fleeting of references to a privatised industry that has always favoured profits before investment in infrastructure.

Before becoming completely nauseous I managed to read a few of the comments. Wasn't too long before someone blamed an energy crisis on... yes you've guessed immigrants.

Why not make a start on energy conservation by pulling the plug on the printing presses of this noisome rag?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:07 am 

I have reminded Mrs Oldrwb to check our stock of candles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:33 am 

The "lights out" story may be bit of exaggeration but IMO we are in a bit of a mess with our power industry.

Our ageing nuclear reactors are reaching and some cases have reached the end of their lives, there seems to have been no realistic forward plan to fulfil our future needs for power, add to that a lack of investment and pandering to the tree huggers/environmentalists/greens we are going nowhere fast.

Take this for example

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 635159.stm

£50 million pounds and could power 40,000 homes - bulldozed through by the Government despite local objections - that's really going to make a difference.

Commissioning of new coal powered stations are picketed by environmental groups - do they really believe wind/wave/hydro/solar sustainable powerprojects to generate the country's full needs ? Crackpots.

Hate to say it but look at the French model - they are self sufficient by way of having nearly 60 nuclear power stations, and in fact export 18% of their total putput to neighbouring countries.

Nuclear power is the way ahead - times have moved on - the technology has evolved and is a safer process than previously with the new generation reactors.

I for one would go down the French route - clean, safe and above all affordable power. Pity we missed the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:51 am 

Well it seems that a Scottish company is something of a world leader in wave power. Of course no backing from the government. But is seems Portugal as it up and running. Jet engine mark two coming up give it away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps OH could give me a quote for putting a windmill in my back garden? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Polish Pete wrote:

You mean to say the Daily Mail is printing stories that are not true? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Roscoe Rules wrote:
Our ageing nuclear reactors are reaching and some cases have reached the end of their lives, there seems to have been no realistic forward plan to fulfil our future needs for power, add to that a lack of investment and pandering to the tree huggers/environmentalists/greens we are going nowhere fast.

You've hit the nail on the head Roscoe. 10 years have gone by with ZNL doing SFA about this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:29 pm 

Polish Pete wrote:
Before becoming completely nauseous I managed to read a few of the comments. Wasn't too long before someone blamed an energy crisis on... yes you've guessed immigrants.

Sounds like a perfectly plausible contributory factor to me.

Or don't immigrants use electricity?

Trying to blame the death of final salary schemes in the private sector on anything other than the Government is bollocks. Trying to justify tax payers funding schemes that are more generous than tax payers can get for themselves is bollocks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:14 pm 

disident wrote:
Well it seems that a Scottish company is something of a world leader in wave power. Of course no backing from the government. But is seems Portugal as it up and running. Jet engine mark two coming up give it away.

This wave driven, sea snake like machine sounds like a great idea. Pollution free electricity is everyones dream.

But......are you willing to pay THREE times the going rate for the juice that flows from your wall socket, because that's what it costs?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:26 pm 

Location: Not on Facebook, not in Screwfix, not in Dale Hill farm . . .
In a word NO

Too many so called environmentally good energy schemes are complete bollocks. From Toyota Pius to sodding sea snakes generators they cost more and usually because of the energy taken up in their build and life maintenance.

Rio Ferdinand on Twitter responding to Blatter's latest idiocy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:59 pm 

Ah yes, the Prius. In a head to head with a BMW 520 diesel the cars so called economy was shown to be an illusion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin ... 552994.ece

Toyota are selling these cars at a big loss so that they can claim part of their range is green. How many buyers will be willing to buy one when it is second or third hand? Repairs will cost a fortune if any of the wizardry packs in and this will surely shorten its usefull life. And when it dies the batteries and electrical circuits on the Prius will be very toxic, and a nightmare to dispose of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:53 pm 

Polish Pete wrote:

This has being doing the rounds in proper newspapers for ages. Difference being of course that they reported the facts and did not turn it into what the Mails excels at - instilling fear.

Agreed - slightly screwed by this news today
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ffice.html

Having said that I did buy a generator last year (brand new and still in the box) for being smug if the power does go off (it'll run a few lights, the radio, TV and freezer, maybe the central heating if I can ever persuade a mate to fit a changeover switch). Suspect I won't be needing it again.

However if we burned copies of the daily mail instead of recycling we could be nice and toasty warm :D