* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:32 am 

I've some good news for once, fellow GOM's. Some news which has already made my weekend before it's even began. Today in work, I've been informed that one particular colleague who has been working from home since the end of March has handed in her notice over e-mail.

This is one particular female colleague has been known to have mood swings and suffers from what I describe as 'vicious tongue' syndrome. Get on the wrong side of her and she'll not only let you know about it, but will sulk about it for days on end. I don't think there's many people who she hasn't upset in the company in the five years she's worked here and I know there's at least two people who avoid her wherever possible.

As for how she is with me? It's a strange working relationship. I know full well she's stabbed me in the back more times than I care to remember. There's been occasions where I've been out of sight but just about in earshot when she's criticised me too. As someone used to taking nonsense from people for much of my life, it's like water off a ducks back to me. All I'll say is that I've played her at her own game to a degree. I've been just as two faced as she is… Pleasant enough to her face, but have certainly seen the problems others have had with her. Another one of her hobbies whilst in work is trying to find out the personal lives of everyone – to try and gain further ammunition when it comes to gossiping.

Since lockdown measures were introduced towards the end of March, she and most others in the office have been set up to work from home. Whilst the powers that be were initially skeptical about how it would work, it's been shown in many cases to have worked out very well. Our level of service hasn't declined and it's taken the women and the usual dramas away from the office to create a much more relaxed atmosphere. The last time I spoke to her over the phone, she said she was missing the social aspect of the office. The truth of the matter is that she's missing the gossiping and back-stabbing of others.

Her notice period is four weeks, but to know I'll never have to deal with her or hear from her again by 26th June (at the latest - I'm sure she has a few days holiday to take) does come as a genuine relief to me. I know one particular member of the 'powers that be' have had issues with her for quite some time and has been waiting for this moment for at least the last twelve months.

I'm glad, as are most others in the company, that she will soon become someone else's problem. It's unlikely she or any of those working from home will be back before her notice period is over. Another bonus.

So, I bid her farewell. It's not been a pleasure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:29 pm 

Well, today was her last day. Unfortunately she had to come in for an hour or so this afternoon to collect a few items she'd left behind when all the business of home working started back in March. I'd forgotten about that possibility.

She seemed in a reasonable mood to be fair to her, as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. I did keep making excuses to nip out the office so I didn't have to see her too much. I wished her all the best through gritted teeth and fortunately thanks to social distancing measures, there were no hugs involved. I don't think I could have coped with that. I'd have made my excuses to not be there when she went, otherwise.

One of the 'powers that be' happened to be in the office at the time she left and the only thing he had to say to her was "Thanks, see you" as she was heading out. He never even looked at her. Now, I know either of them have got on in recent years (even worse than the rest of us), but even I thought that was out of order. I thought he'd have at least feigned a politer farewell. Oh well…

At least she's not going to be the company's problem anymore. No more bad moods from her or hearing about personal family issues which I really don't want to hear about. Onwards and upwards.