* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm 

Why can't the twat in front see that it is clear to pull on to the roundabout when everybody behind him can. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:43 pm 

It's a simple case of self-preservation. The twat at the front of the queue is the one who is going to get T-boned if she gets it wrong and misjudges the speed of the oncoming traffic therefore she takes a bit more care when joining the roundabout.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:57 am 

I've come to the conclusion that some people need invitations to navigate their way through junctions, these days.

I'm generally a slow and cautious driver. I'm not someone who tailgates, breaks speed limits or doesn't allow a margin of error from other drivers. However, some people are cautious to the extreme - and from my experience it seems to come from motorists across the age spectrum.

At roundabouts, I often see a clear gap but the car in front will literally stop dead and only then decide to move forwards once the next batch of traffic is approaching - meaning that person is the only one to get through, rather than two or three cars. They won't start creeping forwards as the last vehicle has passed from right to left on the roundabout. They'll remain at a dead stop for a second or two even after that last vehicle has gone past.

One of my biggest pet hates at junctions at the moment are people who seem to leave a large van's length between themselves and the car in front at a set of traffic lights. What's that all about? It's just extending the length of the queue behind them. Sometimes they'll wait until you've stopped behind them and then decide to move closer to the car behind... It's become that prevalent that I'm wondering if there's new rule in the driving test that I'm unaware of? I appreciate this may be down to safety (incase they're rear-ended they stand a chance of not hitting the vehicle in front) but it seems illogical to leave enormous gaps whilst stationary :? . Especially during peak periods.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 am 

You appear to be a bit of an arsehole crutch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 pm 

My pet hate is where there are lights at a roundabout; not for traffic approaching the junction but for a pedestrian crossing. It is easy to be momentarily confused by a green light that might give one the impression of a right of way when in fact it just means that there is simply no right of way for pedestrians to cross the road.

Firstly, I was taught that a green light gave you the right of way. To change a rule that has worked well for years is not that clever. Secondly, I would have thought a pedestrian crossing at a busy roundabout is poor planning. Pedestrians not only sometimes ignore the "do not cross" warnings but their very presence can cause an unnecessary obstruction.

Many a rear end shunt has been caused by a driver mistaking the green light for pedestrians as a right of way onto the roundabout only to find a fast moving vehicle bearing down on them. The sudden braking consequently causes the car behind to plough into their back.

That is my grump.

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:40 am 

I'm with crutch, too many drivers are too timid and appear to lack any sort of forward judgement/perception.

I firmly believe that they are the cause of many of the smaller traffic jams in busy areas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 am 

As a traffic cop, I saw far too many accidents caused by impatient idiots, who took risks way beyond their driving ability. If someone is unsure they should not pull out, end of. Those drivers that want everyone out of their way should not be driving, they cause more accident than any other group of motorists. Drivers forget that from the day they pass their test they do not learn anything other than bad habits and poor attitudes. How many drivers have looked at a highway code book since passing the test? I would rather wait behind a slow driver than see the poor sod T boned because he felt pressured by other road users. If you don't like driving behind slower motorists take the blood bus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:37 pm 

Quibble wrote:
I'm with crutch, too many drivers are too timid and appear to lack any sort of forward judgement/perception.

I firmly believe that they are the cause of many of the smaller traffic jams in busy areas.

As a friend once said to me recently, when I was complaining about the above that, unfortunately there are a large number of drivers on our roads today who don’t want to drive but, have to drive. Then, you can add the large number of drivers whose previous vehicle was an ox-cart in Kabul at best...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:31 pm 

Patience is a virtue. I prefer not to be behind a ditherer, but I prefer it to having an impatient arse up my arse.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:01 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJIgD1wQaAU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu