* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Price of a pint
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 pm 

It may have been a typo but a recent post suggested £7.20 for a pint of beer. As I am not in a position to undertake personal research would GOM please advise the average price of a pint these days in the UK. Out here my club charges £2.50.

Post subject: Re: Price of a pint
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:06 am 

Gnat's piss lager is cheaper, but proper beer is £3.50 ish.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 am 

Strong lager is around £5:50 np around my neck of the woods .

Malcolm X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:31 am 

I quoted £7.20 in the 'spend, spend, spend' thread as a nightmarish worst case scenario for when the pubs open again.
Londoners would pay that (probabably did at Brighton and Bournemouth) but I won't.

£3.40 for real ale in my local.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:46 am 

A pint of Blue Nun costs about £2.00 in Calais.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:21 pm 

My favourite beer is Warsteiner. Sorry mr.D. I know you don't like Lager but this is really rather good! I can buy it in Asda for £6 for 4 bottles. Each bottle contains 660ml of pure Germanic Heaven, just over a pint.
In local pubs- preferably St. Austell Brewery houses, they serve Tribute and Korev. Excellent bitter and Lager but at silly prices. Use them for special occasions- when there's a Y in the day for instance :mrgreen:

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:02 pm 

The price of a pint begins to sting for me when it's in the higher £3's… Sadly, this is where the majority of beer I like is usually priced around. I start to baulk once it tips over the £4 mark.

On one of my visits to London around two years ago, it came to being my round and I didn't get change out of a £20 note…for three pints :shock: . That sobered me up more than the night's sleep that followed.

I'm not really a larger drinker, although I don't mind Birra Moretti, Peroni or Pilsners. At a push, San Miguel and a fairly recent addition - Hop House 13. Other than that, I stick to proper beer and have been the same since my mid/late twenties.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:09 pm 

My preferred tipple is real, traditional and cask ales and a pint of Old Empire, Theakston's OP or a good IPA on tap is my idea of Nirvana.

After what he did to his staff I have vowed never to set foot in any of that Aussie twat's beer charnel-houses ever again so that's two locals off the list automatically. Take away the pubs with huge sports screens in your face whichever way you turn and there are only a couple of other half-decent places in town - the old-style pub is dying on its arse around here.

However, I am lucky to have a very good pub nearby where Mein Host is knowledgeable about his beer and really knows how to look after his cellar. He has Doombar and Guinness and always a good IPA on tap plus a regular cycle of three other guest ales, which usually includes a Ruby and a bitter and often a Belgian or German pilsner or blonde bier. He even managed to get Franciscan Well's Rebel Red in last year and I certainly hope for that one to return. Whatever sells well and quickly usually makes another appearance whereas some beers are never seen again. There is also Carlsberg and 1666 for the lager drinkers.

In normal times, because of its location the pub has a good regular, and a fairly large passing clientale. He has a great Italian chef who has been with him for at least 15 years and shows no sign of letting his menus ever get boring or repetitive (except for his chilli and his steak and ale pie which are continuously on the menu at the request of his customers).

Because he is a freehouse and he actually owns the building his overheads are slightly lower than the average publican has to endure and because of his turnover he is able to keep his prices down. It will be interesting to see how he fares with social distancing as the bar is not very large and barely a metre wide in some places let alone two. There are only four dining tables which will probably reduce to three at most and seating at the bar will not be possible any more (at least twelve barstools). Even so, it's the only pub in town I would contemplate visiting because I know I will get good service and a beer I will really enjoy every time.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:39 am 

Mr Depressed wrote:
The price of a pint begins to sting for me when it's in the higher £3's… Sadly, this is where the majority of beer I like is usually priced around. I start to baulk once it tips over the £4 mark.

On one of my visits to London around two years ago, it came to being my round and I didn't get change out of a £20 note…for three pints :shock: . That sobered me up more than the night's sleep that followed.

I'm not really a larger drinker, although I don't mind Birra Moretti, Peroni or Pilsners. At a push, San Miguel and a fairly recent addition - Hop House 13. Other than that, I stick to proper beer and have been the same since my mid/late twenties.

I remember going to the "Borderline" music venue about 30 years ago to see the Milltown Brothers I believe.
Anywho I bought 2 bottles of Bud and handed over £5 and was told that this wasn't enough. You could buy a pint
for about a £1 then outside London . It was the only drink myself and my good lady had that night !.
So to put that into today's perspective a pint where I live is between £4 and £5 multiply that by 2 1\2 and that is between
£10 and £12:50 a drink .
Your 3 pints for £20 was excellent value Mr D !!!

Malcolm X