* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

Would you pay £157.50pa to subscribe to the BBC?
Yes 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
No 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
Don't know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: TV Licence
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:01 am 

I watch an increasingly small amount of television. I seldom watch the BBC (although I do use its websites), however I am forced to pay for a TV Licence which funds it. We all forced to do it; no other form of media makes us do this and because of the flat rate it has a disproportionate effect on the poor. Having said that, the BBC runs in a way which is very different to other broadcasters, but is that a good way?

So let's imagine that the TV Licence is abolished and you could pay the same amount for BBC services by subscription, would you do it?

Post subject: Re: TV Licence
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:10 pm 

If I had my way the licence fee would have been abolished several years ago when it became crystal clear it wasn't public broadcaster any more – just a political mouthpiece for Labour and the Greens.

The BBC offers practically nothing in the way of watchable TV for me these days. I started going off it the best part of 20 years ago before it become more fashionable. I could see the start of a left-wing infiltration as far back as the early noughties, when it wasn't pressing Teflon Tony over Iraq and 'comedies' become nothing more than slurs/sarcastic little remarks against anything that wasn't left of centre.

T'other watches EastEnders which I'm ashamed to admit to but that’s just about the only time the TV is put over onto the BBC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm 

Mr Depressed wrote:
If I had my way the licence fee would have been abolished several years ago when it became crystal clear it wasn't public broadcaster any more – just a political mouthpiece for Labour and the Greens.

The BBC offers practically nothing in the way of watchable TV for me these days. I started going off it the best part of 20 years ago before it become more fashionable. I could see the start of a left-wing infiltration as far back as the early noughties, when it wasn't pressing Teflon Tony over Iraq and 'comedies' become nothing more than slurs/sarcastic little remarks against anything that wasn't left of centre.

T'other watches EastEnders which I'm ashamed to admit to but that’s just about the only time the TV is put over onto the BBC.

Totally agree- my viewing is mainly You-tube and Amazon Prime. But most of the time I'm happier simply browsing the internet and taking part in forum conversations.
As for the BBC news coverage- I can't bear it. Totally woke, London metropolitan views. Totally patronising when ever they are forced to deal with the provinces (ie anywhere not London) and their lack of knowledge about these regions is absolutely embarassing! All of which makes my skin crawl.

I'm looking forward to Andrew Neils station (News GB I think it's called?) which will start airing next month.

Mr D my t'other also watches 'stenders. I have to do something else- crazy as I was born there! But can't stand the place!

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:53 pm 

Tony.T wrote:
Totally agree- my viewing is mainly You-tube and Amazon Prime. But most of the time I'm happier simply browsing the internet and taking part in forum conversations.

That's very much the same as me these days. The majority of 'television' watching for me is YouTube, Amazon Prime and occasionally Nexflix. Terrestrial television must be getting down towards single digits in terms of total percentage of TV watched in any given month.

Tony.T wrote:
I'm looking forward to Andrew Neils station (News GB I think it's called?) which will start airing next month.

GB News, yes. I've no idea when it's going out on air (if it's next month - good news) but it's something I'm looking forward to giving a try. In my opinion Andrew Neil is one of the better presenters/interviewers out there. He's not afraid to ask questions which others would shy-away from.

I may be wrong with this prediction, but I do have an overall positive feeling about it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:17 pm 

Mr Depressed wrote:
Tony.T wrote:

That's very much the same as me these days. The majority of 'television' watching for me is YouTube, Amazon Prime and occasionally Nexflix. Terrestrial television must be getting down towards single digits in terms of total percentage of TV watched in any given month.

Tony.T wrote:

GB News, yes. I've no idea when it's going out on air (if it's next month - good news) but it's something I'm looking forward to giving a try. In my opinion Andrew Neil is one of the better presenters/interviewers out there. He's not afraid to ask questions which others would shy-away from.

I may be wrong with this prediction, but I do have an overall positive feeling about it.

Yes, me too with a positive feeling about it. With luck if it becomes popular it'll force the BBC to look at itself and its opinions more critically- and perhaps ban The Guardian from its offices. They need to look at other publications, Telegraph and the Sun perhaps :mrgreen:

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.