Gas

Have a good moan here about anything you like.

Moderators: old misery guts, CJ, Jethro, Crumpy Gunt

Rudolf Hart

Gas

Post by Rudolf Hart »

Got to renew our energy plan in February.
Currently paid £1008 during 2001. Around £90 a month.
Our three options with the same supplier now are:-
£200 a month fixed for 2 years.
£150 a month fixed for 1 year.
£114 a month variable.

We've decided to go variable and cut down as much as possible ie more logs.
Tolerance is a set allowance that ensures a good fit and smooth running. Any more tolerance and things get sloppy or don't work at all.
We live in a very, very tolerant society already.
CriticalMass

Re: Gas

Post by CriticalMass »

It matters little which plan/tariff you decide upon, the supplier will always screw as much as legally possible from you at every possible opportunity. With the toe toasting option of a roaring coal/log fire becoming more difficult as time marches on, it'll soon be the case of pay up and feel warm or not as retirement funds dictate. I'm just glad I made wise decisions early on in my life that has made my retirement as bullet proof as possible 👌👍
Who crapped down the fan shaft?
Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

We don't have gas, but I am fed up with being shafted by the leccy companies, hence our solar panels came online last week and I'm supplying the charged up electrons to them now (at 5p per units; b'stards).

This is going to be a big problem for many, so I wonder what decisive action will be taken by BoJo?
No, I really don't want to attend the office party.
williamtravis

Post by williamtravis »

Whilst this is easy to say if you are insulated from the above however...
back in the day , during winter, especially, we only lived in or heated one room i.e. the living room
the hall and upstairs was cold and I mean cold. Hot water bottles was the order of the day .
Unfortunately if you mention this and suggest that this maybe a solution to those who have a
limited income then those who are woker than a woke in wokeland will be spitting out their avocado
in disgust and looking to cancel the messenger. But will offer no solutions other than woke words of sympathy.
" The white liberal is the biggest threat to the black man "

Malcolm X
Rudolf Hart

Post by Rudolf Hart »

With the latest political shenanigans, I've decided on relinquishing any political party preference. I've got maybe four more elections left - As a selfish grumpy pensioner, I'll vote for whoever does good for pensions and pensioners.
Tolerance is a set allowance that ensures a good fit and smooth running. Any more tolerance and things get sloppy or don't work at all.
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

We do not have mains gas here, but we do have it in London, the gas prices have got very expensive we get the bills sent here, not been in the London house since November yet we keep getting costly estimated bills. phoned BG to inform them the house is unoccupied, I also explained that no gas is used and the gas is turned off at the meter, still getting estimated bill based on the property size and not gas used.
When my life is over And my time has come to pass
I want to be buried upside down So the world can Kiss my Arse.
hindmost

Post by hindmost »

Francis Bacon wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 pm We don't have gas, but I am fed up with being shafted by the leccy companies, hence our solar panels came online last week and I'm supplying the charged up electrons to them now (at 5p per units; b'stards).

This is going to be a big problem for many, so I wonder what decisive action will be taken by BoJo?
Would be interested to know how your Solar Panels go - we have an ideal site for these (albeit at 57.15 degrees North), but I am never an early adopter of anything, so would you please keep us posted ?
Under the shade of the Average Tree, where they hand out mediocrity, I saw you with "Alchemy" under your arm, standing in the middle of a long queue.
old git

Post by old git »

Whenever I mention Nationalisation I get jumped on because the Labour Party made such a hash of it when they were in Government. There are several models for State ownership of the Utilities that work well in Europe. I think this Tory Government should steal a march on Labour and establish a sensible programme of Utilities Nationalisation now...before Labour get in and make another cock of it.

My solution for State funding of the NHS and Nationalised Utilities would be by removing the Defence Budget from the usual Public Spending model and fund it entirely from quantitive easing. The advantage is that Defence spending is not inflationary and it would free up the funds needed to support essential services.

I know it won't happen anymore than scrapping income tax but I can dream... :mrgreen:
The pen is mightier than the sword... Take away the sword; States can be saved without it!

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu
D P Dance

Post by D P Dance »

Recently obtained severa quotes fir foam insulation in the roof. One company wuoted £12,000, 7000, 5600, and £3600. The lowest quote was for £2600 but, despite two requests, they have not sent me their contract.
A Fully paid up member of the Berkshire Hunt
old git

Post by old git »

D P Dance wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:44 am Recently obtained severa quotes fir foam insulation in the roof. One company wuoted £12,000, 7000, 5600, and £3600. The lowest quote was for £2600 but, despite two requests, they have not sent me their contract.
How good a job do you want doing, Dippy.?

I am a firm believer in you only get what you pay for.

Incidentally, that lowest quote was probably what they call in the trade a "ditched" deal. Unless you want finance, they are unlikely to do the work.

People tend to dislike working for little or no return and will cut corners at your expense. I would expect the Company you are dealing with to have an arms length relationship with their fitters who will most likely be subcontracted (even if they tell you otherwise...yes they tell lies... all the time.). If they do a poor job you won't be able to sue!
The pen is mightier than the sword... Take away the sword; States can be saved without it!

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu
Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

hindmost wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:43 am
Francis Bacon wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 pm We don't have gas, but I am fed up with being shafted by the leccy companies, hence our solar panels came online last week and I'm supplying the charged up electrons to them now (at 5p per units; b'stards).

Would be interested to know how your Solar Panels go - we have an ideal site for these (albeit at 57.15 degrees North), but I am never an early adopter of anything, so would you please keep us posted ?
Well, brother Hindmost, the solar panels have even made a miserable sod like me raise a smile.

In the two weeks they've been up and running we have generated about 80% of our own electricity. The battery has charged up to full every day, even when it is cloudy, and that provides most of our energy usage for the evening. Most of the imported electricity is used for the electric shower in the main bathroom, however our en-suite shower runs from the tank, so it would be beneficial to use the solar power to heat the water. I have exported nearly 70kWh in two weeks so I'm having a device fitted next week which takes surplus energy and uses it to activate the immersion heater in preference to selling it back to the shysters at the leccy board. I buy electricity at 21p per kWh and sell it at 5p per kWh so this gizmo should tip the balance back in my favour.

I have a plug-in hybrid car on order which will hopefully be delivered in the spring. My daily commute is 24 miles, so I'm hoping that for at least half of the year I can go to and from work for free, in terms of energy at least.

I'm at 51.70 degrees north and wouldn't think twice about getting solar panels fitted again if I move house. If you're thinking about it then my suggestion would be to act soon as the company that fitted them are now rushed off their feet.
hindmost

Post by hindmost »

Thanks for sharing that - what size of an array do you have fitted, and would it be rude to ask the rough cost ?
Under the shade of the Average Tree, where they hand out mediocrity, I saw you with "Alchemy" under your arm, standing in the middle of a long queue.
Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

hindmost wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:54 pm Thanks for sharing that - what size of an array do you have fitted, and would it be rude to ask the rough cost ?
I have PM'd you.
Rudolf Hart

Post by Rudolf Hart »

Look out for the next scam, hidden in plain sight.......
When the increased Energy Cap is announced, it will show that although the breakdown percentages staying the same, with the raw gas price being nearly 50% of the overall cost, the rest, such as
Network costs:- 16.45%
Operational costs:- 10.5%
etc
Should really be shown as fixed costs, but as they are a percentage, with a near doubling of the Energy Cap, the energy companies Operational and Network budgets etc are enhanced with every increase in gas prices. And of course, there's VAT on them as well.
Ka - Ching !!!!
CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass »

Rudolf Hart wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:20 am With the latest political shenanigans, I've decided on relinquishing any political party preference. I've got maybe four more elections left - As a selfish grumpy pensioner, I'll vote for whoever does good for pensions and pensioners.
Don't hold your breath. They are all self serving snollygosters of the highest order and so long as they are warm they wont give a tinker's toss about the rest of us. I voted Tory last time and the ended up with more greenies ultra keen on applying swinging green levies to my gas + leccie bills. Also that bastard Boris lied about the VAT on the fuel bills coz it's still applied, the fecker!!!
Who crapped down the fan shaft?