The Conservative Party Leadership Race

Have a good moan here about anything you like.

Moderators: old misery guts, CJ, Jethro, Crumpy Gunt

Francis Bacon

The Conservative Party Leadership Race

Post by Francis Bacon »

And they're off. Stephen Crabb has thrown his hat into the ring; I've never heard of him. Liam Fox is in too and it would be awfully ungentlemanly to bring up that unfortunate business where he showed poor judgement, so I won't mention it. No sign of Boris or May as yet.
Bring back common sense.
magog

Re: The Conservative Party Leadership Race

Post by magog »

Francis Bacon wrote:And they're off. Stephen Crabb has thrown his hat into the ring; I've never heard of him. Liam Fox is in too and it would be awfully ungentlemanly to bring up that unfortunate business where he showed poor judgement, so I won't mention it. No sign of Boris or May as yet.
They are really scratching around if Crabb's in the ring. :shock:
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

Blaise Pascal
oldmacdonald
Location: Near Roonald McDoonalds, but sufficiently far away not to smell the onions and cheese.

Post by oldmacdonald »

I think Daniel Hannan would be a very good choice.

Theresa May? Christ in a tombola.
"But we live in a world without much honour, where politicians hang onto office like dirty glue, so I don't suppose you will resign - blame is for others." - George Cowley
Bob Tappin

Post by Bob Tappin »

Bookies now have Theresa May as favourite. (Previously it was Johnson)

She's hopeless! Totally failed in her job, for years and years and hid away during the referendum campaign.

Owen Paterson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, David Davis, Dominic Raab - all good candidates.

May is about the worst I can think of - with the exception, of course, of the unbelievably dreadful Anna Soubry.
Last night I held a little hand, it made my sad heart sing, it was the loveliest hand I've ever held; four aces and a king. (Benny Hill)
oldmacdonald
Location: Near Roonald McDoonalds, but sufficiently far away not to smell the onions and cheese.

Post by oldmacdonald »

I reckon Soubry is a Labour plant. There is no other explanation I can find for her Greenham Common-style approach to politics.
"But we live in a world without much honour, where politicians hang onto office like dirty glue, so I don't suppose you will resign - blame is for others." - George Cowley
Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

oldmacdonald wrote:I reckon Soubry is a Labour plant. There is no other explanation I can find for her Greenham Common-style approach to politics.
But Jezza wants a new style of non-confrontational politics.
Bring back common sense.
Bob Tappin

Post by Bob Tappin »

Never heard of this Crabb bloke.

Would not be a good choice. Sturgeon and Salmond will have him for lunch.

Johnson is now 8/11 - although historically Tory leaders tend to end up not being the expected favourite.
Last night I held a little hand, it made my sad heart sing, it was the loveliest hand I've ever held; four aces and a king. (Benny Hill)
getalife

Post by getalife »

Mr Tappin,
Allow me to enlighten you:

"Crabb is a Christian who believes in the value of prayer and who feels the church should play an active role in community life.

He has links to Christian Action Research and Education, an advocacy group that some say is opposed to full LGBT rights - CARE provided Crabb's office with interns in 2010, and during the 1990s Crabb himself was a parliamentary intern for the organisation. Crabb has stated that he does not "support or endorse any views about ‘gay cure’ theology."

Source wiki.

Religious nutcase alert!!!!!

Mind you ladies and gentlemen this, is one of the alternatives?

It really is mind boggling the state of politics in this country post Blair, and post the rise of the spin doctor isn't it.
getalife

Post by getalife »

Bob Tappin wrote: hid away during the referendum campaign
I wish I had, then I wouldn't feel like such a helmet now!

This whole episode has been a clusterf**k from start to finish of such magnitude it really isn't funny. Since last Thursday (and in the six month build up before, to be fair), due to a perculiarly modern British mix of idiocy on the part of the electorate and incompetence/more idiocy/crassness/ineptitude/deceitfulness/downright bentness on the part of the "political classes" the UK has effectively ceased to exist with any kind of credibility and/or influence on the European or world stage.

However everyone, as you were, because wimbledon has started FFS!
Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

getalife wrote:
Bob Tappin wrote: because wimbledon has started FFS!
That's a grump in its own right.
Bring back common sense.
magog

Post by magog »

It doesn't matter who gets the job, he/she will be castigated on here for previous incompetence and stupidity or failing that, for presumed future I. and S.
It is always worse than the last, we will be begging for Dave to come back after six months. Best chance is if the German army is standing in front of Warsaw Town Hall, engines running, then a Churchillian figure will emerge from the back benches and deliver us.

The decision SHOULD be about who is strong enough and cussed enough to stand up to the EU negotiators, in which case it has to be Boris, he may not be the full shilling but then looking at Junckers and Merkel , he will fit right in.
I see no one else except maybe CJ , but he is probably busy...
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

Blaise Pascal
oldpedant

Post by oldpedant »

Stephen Crabb........who?
Anyone who is so ridiculously bewhiskered really cannot believe to be taken seriously, surely.
A climate change heretic (and Workmate restorer)
Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

Michael Gove fancies his chances.
Bring back common sense.
Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

Andrea Leadsom is up for it too. Another person I've never heard of.
Bring back common sense.
getalife

Post by getalife »

Apparently the love in with Mr B is over, that didn't take long....

"He said he was standing because he had come "to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead".

"In the next few days I will lay out my plan for the United Kingdom which I hope can provide unity and change.""

Source BBC.

I reckon he's bricking it that Boris may not be completely interested in taking us completely out with immigration control (or indeed any of it) and was only in it to get the top job in No. 10. But that would be far fetched right?