The Conservative Party Leadership Race

Have a good moan here about anything you like.

Moderators: old misery guts, CJ, Jethro, Crumpy Gunt

Francis Bacon

Re: The Conservative Party Leadership Race

Post by Francis Bacon »

Step forward Theresa May.

That was quick.
Bring back common sense.
Boundah

Post by Boundah »

Call Me Dave is off a bit sooner than he expected :D
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.
whostolemyhair?

Post by whostolemyhair? »

Angela Loathsome has withdrawn after her inappropriate comments about breeding being something clever. Having been shown to have embellished her C.V. , and claimed success in a way that Hilary Clinton would have been embarrassed, she has disappeared into oblivion.

A colleague worked with her husband in the 80's. Arrogant, lazy and full of his own self importance............and they were the nice things he remembered.
The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.
old git

Post by old git »

Maybe I am being cynical but I think all that has happened in this contest has been a fix. The last thing the parliamentary Conservative party wanted was to end up with the same dilemma as Labour so much manoeuvring has taken place behind the scenes to ensure that the Party in the Country did not get to elect the new leader.

If you go back to the Boris Johnson resignation it is feasible that Gove was presented as the evil one who stuck the knife in to prevent Boris being a "Brexit" candidate but behind the scenes the whole scenario could have been an elaborate plan with Boris' agreement. Gove "the betrayer" was never going to become leader but Leadsom might just have appealed to the membership over May because as has been mentioned she has abjectly failed to control immigration even from outside the E.U let alone in it.

Then we come to this unlikely blunder by Leadsom over the kids. When the Times published, quite accurately, her stupid comments one felt that it was a case of "the lady doth protest too much". I may be imagining it but I suspect the whole "campaign" has been a farce with Leadsom pulling out at the last minute for rather spurious but pre determined reasons simply so as to deny the Tory Party members the opportunity to vote in a "Brexit" leader and Prime Minister.

What other scenario could there be that would deliver the situation that we have now.?

Remember we are talking about the Parliamentary Tory Party here - probably the most devious, self serving bunch of politicians you could ever hope to find. Of course they don't want to rock the boat.
The pen is mightier than the sword... Take away the sword; States can be saved without it!

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu
old git

Post by old git »

Maybe I am being cynical but I think all that has happened in this contest has been a fix. The last thing the parliamentary Conservative party wanted was to end up with the same dilemma as Labour so much manoeuvring has taken place behind the scenes to ensure that the Party in the Country did not get to elect the new leader.

If you go back to the Boris Johnson resignation it is feasible that Gove was presented as the evil one who stuck the knife in to prevent Boris being a "Brexit" candidate but behind the scenes the whole scenario could have been an elaborate plan with Boris' agreement. Gove "the betrayer" was never going to become leader but Leadsom might just have appealed to the membership over May because as has been mentioned she has abjectly failed to control immigration even from outside the E.U let alone in it.

Then we come to this unlikely blunder by Leadsom over the kids. When the Times published, quite accurately, her stupid comments one felt that it was a case of "the lady doth protest too much". I may be imagining it but I suspect the whole "campaign" has been a farce with Leadsom pulling out at the last minute for rather spurious but pre determined reasons simply so as to deny the Tory Party members the opportunity to vote in a "Brexit" leader and Prime Minister.

What other scenario could there be that would deliver the situation that we have now.?

Remember we are talking about the Parliamentary Tory Party here - probably the most devious, self serving bunch of politicians you could ever hope to find. Of course they don't want to rock the boat.
The pen is mightier than the sword... Take away the sword; States can be saved without it!

Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

Will there be a snap general election to exploit Labour disarray?
Bring back common sense.
old git

Post by old git »

Francis Bacon wrote:Will there be a snap general election to exploit Labour disarray?
Is there any point? Other than the possibility of increasing the Tory majority, a General Election will only give the public an opportunity to vote for UKIP if they feel the referendum result is not being followed through.

Kicking article 50 into the long grass is no more than I thought would happen. If May eventually does do a deal with the E.U. my guess is that it will be one that gives the British Government full sovereignty but no loss of access to the single market. This could be done by continuing payment into the E.U. coffers. This is an easy political option because the aim of balancing the books has been dumped. Besides, whatever the price, the money can be printed out by the Bank of England.

No problem.

Bob Tappin

Post by Bob Tappin »

old git wrote: Kicking article 50 into the long grass is no more than I thought would happen.
Almost entire Establishment wants Remain.
80% of MP's want Remain.
48% of public want Remain.
Newly installed leader and PM wants Remain.

That grass you are talking about is going to be very, very long.

Dominic Grieve: "the first referendum result is not set in stone".

There ain't goin' to be no Brexit.
Last night I held a little hand, it made my sad heart sing, it was the loveliest hand I've ever held; four aces and a king. (Benny Hill)
old git

Post by old git »

Bob Tappin wrote:
old git wrote: Kicking article 50 into the long grass is no more than I thought would happen.
I read somewhere that her Maj was quite pleased with Brexit :?

magog

Post by magog »

Bob Tappin wrote:
80% of MP's want Remain.
48% of public want Remain.
Newly installed leader and PM wants Remain.

That grass you are talking about is going to be very, very long.

Dominic Grieve: "the first referendum result is not set in stone".

There ain't goin' to be no Brexit.
How would that be spun to the 52% of the GBP who voted to leave? Remembering that MP's, the establishment etal were all part of the 48%. Knowing the amount of courage that the average Politician has, who would have the balls to say, 'look sorry but all us chaps that sort of, you know, run the place, have decided that it won't fly, don't care for it so lets just pretend it never happened. Frightfully hard cheese but we do really know what is best.
Toddle off now , Eastenders is on'

Plus the fact that the rest of the world would be crapping their pants laughing.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

Blaise Pascal
old git

Post by old git »

I think there will be something that resembles Brexit but which if you scratch the surface will be a compromise. Surely, this would be the most likely outcome given the close result of the referendum? All said and done, politics is usually a fudge of some kind, isn't it?

Crumpy Gunt
Site Admin

Post by Crumpy Gunt »

Watching the footage of May earlier on the news I formulated the view that she is not in the best of health. It looks as if her diabetes is well advanced to the dodgy feet stage (she was walking like a penguin) and it also looked as if she may have Parkinsons shake. Time will tell. Oh, and no I wouldn't, not even with yours. :mrgreen:
I suppose Jesus loves Jeremy Corblimey plus the newt, his fuckbuddy and a few acolytes. The rest of us think they are utter twats.
Dr. Grump

Post by Dr. Grump »

Crumpy Gunt wrote:It looks as if her diabetes is well advanced to the dodgy feet stage (she was walking like a penguin) and it also looked as if she may have Parkinsons shake. Time will tell. Oh, and no I wouldn't, not even with yours. :mrgreen:
She has a pulse, that is about all that is required to do the job of PM. I do not think she has a Parkinsons tremor.
If you want a medical opinion, I would say she has an acute case of the clenched cheeks syndrome, her rusty old sphincter must be going like a goldfish out of water, at the thought of having to sort out the mess left in the wake of the brexit side winning the vote. Nobody in Westminster expected this result, now nobody has a clue how to deal with it.
old git

Post by old git »

Crumpy Gunt wrote:
Oh, and no I wouldn't, not even with yours. :mrgreen:
Oh Go on - have a go - it's probably been lying dormant for a hundred years just waiting for a Prince charming! :lol:

Crumpy Gunt
Site Admin

Post by Crumpy Gunt »

Dr. Grump wrote:If you want a medical opinion, I would say she has an acute case of the clenched cheeks syndrome, her rusty old sphincter must be going like a goldfish out of water
:D :D
I suppose Jesus loves Jeremy Corblimey plus the newt, his fuckbuddy and a few acolytes. The rest of us think they are utter twats.