The Conservative Party Leadership Race

Have a good moan here about anything you like.

Moderators: old misery guts, CJ, Jethro, Crumpy Gunt

oldmacdonald
Location: Near Roonald McDoonalds, but sufficiently far away not to smell the onions and cheese.

Re: The Conservative Party Leadership Race

Post by oldmacdonald »

I wonder if Dave brought his toys in to play with today for his last day in cabinet?
"But we live in a world without much honour, where politicians hang onto office like dirty glue, so I don't suppose you will resign - blame is for others." - George Cowley
Bob Tappin

Post by Bob Tappin »

Osborne was sacked. Theresa May told him she didn't want him in her Cabinet.
8) Good start.
Last night I held a little hand, it made my sad heart sing, it was the loveliest hand I've ever held; four aces and a king. (Benny Hill)
old git

Post by old git »

I have paid my £25 Tory Party membership fee so I just hope Teresa May lives up to my expectations. :)

She obviously has a sense of humour having made Bojo Foreign Secretary.

The reshuffle was quite brutal; which considering it is Bastille day is also rather nicely appropriate.

We are witnessing the end of the "Notting Hill Set" ... so no more "Carry on Cameron" :lol:
The pen is mightier than the sword... Take away the sword; States can be saved without it!

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu
hindmost

Post by hindmost »

old git wrote: She obviously has a sense of humour having made Bojo Foreign Secretary.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 0714110790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
Under the shade of the Average Tree, where they hand out mediocrity, I saw you with "Alchemy" under your arm, standing in the middle of a long queue.
old git

Post by old git »

What at first looks like a foolhardy decision could well turn out to be a politically astute move. Teresa May has appointed Boris to the post of Foreign Secretary; not because he is a smooth, smart or skilful diplomat (as William Hague was some time ago) but because firstly, he is popular with the Tory grass roots who could have made him Leader (had they been given the chance) so she's throwing a bone to them and secondly, if (or more probably when) he cocks up, she can sack him with good reason and at the same time (with any luck) kick his leadership ambitions into the long grass where he can find and mull through Article 50.
The pen is mightier than the sword... Take away the sword; States can be saved without it!

whostolemyhair?

Post by whostolemyhair? »

Blo jo will also need to represent us when we go to the EEC...............be careful what you wish for!

Any reshuffle that sees Gove and Osborne out has to make sense. Surely Hunt is on borrowed time.
The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.
Boundah

Post by Boundah »

I called Boris's appointment to high office as soon as I heard he was not standing in the leadership.

I believe he did a deal with May along the lines of:
  • * Boris agrees not to stand this time and privately supports her bid for PM, including handing he the supporters he would have had.
    * May gets the top job and sees out the remainder of this Parliament.
    * Potential competition to Boris is wiped out. Gove, Osborne, Crabb, Whittingdale and Morgan are all exiled to the backbenches and reined right in.
    * May builds Boris up over the next four years until he is seen as the only leader-in-waiting and hands over the reins to him - uncontested - just before the 2020 election.
    * May retires to a nice little peerage, Prime Ministerial pension, and a house on the river in Berkshire
    * Boris finally gets the keys to No 10.
Put like that the plan was so obvious. :)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.
old git

Post by old git »

If the above is on the cards it looks like I will be tearing up my membership card. :roll:

magog

Post by magog »

An amusing and erudite fellow is Boris but I do not think he has a spark of common sense in him. Loves publicity too much, loves to be loved too much. A feckin clown and very popular in all those clubs he belongs to but public service? I dont believe it.
He is a motormouth who either doesn't know he upsets people for no good reason or doesn't care. The very last person that you would choose to meet customers or in this case foreign persons that we might want something from.
I believe him to be a braying tosser. I hope I'm proved wrong but his history means that every gesture ,aside or comment will be scrutinised for less worthy meanings. This probably means he will either shut up completely or balls the whole job up within a few months.
Even if he is making the beast with two backs with Theresa, it wont save him.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

Blaise Pascal
old git

Post by old git »

I have not forgiven Boris for letting down the Black Cabs when he was Mayor of London. :(

Bob Tappin

Post by Bob Tappin »

The explanation doing the rounds is that someone was going through the list of name and wrote F. OFF against Boris and a Civil Servant misinterpreted it.

Makes sense. 8)
Last night I held a little hand, it made my sad heart sing, it was the loveliest hand I've ever held; four aces and a king. (Benny Hill)
Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

Boundah wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:47 pm I called Boris's appointment to high office as soon as I heard he was not standing in the leadership.

I believe he did a deal with May along the lines of:
  • * Boris agrees not to stand this time and privately supports her bid for PM, including handing he the supporters he would have had.
    * May gets the top job and sees out the remainder of this Parliament.
    * Potential competition to Boris is wiped out. Gove, Osborne, Crabb, Whittingdale and Morgan are all exiled to the backbenches and reined right in.
    * May builds Boris up over the next four years until he is seen as the only leader-in-waiting and hands over the reins to him - uncontested - just before the 2020 election.
    * May retires to a nice little peerage, Prime Ministerial pension, and a house on the river in Berkshire
    * Boris finally gets the keys to No 10.
Put like that the plan was so obvious. :)
Well, that turned out to be a good call, Mr Boundah.

This time really is thoroughly boring, however when all the promises made by the two candidates are delivered, because we all know that they will be, what a wonderful world we will be living in.
Bring back common sense.
Boundah

Post by Boundah »

Sajid Javid endorses Trusty Truss
Michael Howard endorses Risky Rishi.

You decide...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.
old git

Post by old git »

I thought the reason why they ditched Boris was because he lied. Liz Truss promptly did an about turn on her 'sack the workers and save a quid' policy and claimed that she had been mis represented - which was a lie.

They ALL lie. :lol:

whostolemyhair?

Post by whostolemyhair? »

If I vote for her, I am accused of being racist , if I vote for him, I am accused of being sexist.

Which to choose?
The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.