* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus UK
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:41 pm 

Stay in bed. Pay Income Tax.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:23 pm 

Boris' speech seemed pretty clear to me. Typically, the media are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill out of it. Not helped by egomaniacs in Wales and Scotland either – hell bent on disagreeing with Westminster regardless, just to make cheap political points. It's an example of where there needs to be serious chats about devolution at the end of all this.

As far as I'm concerned, both those nations can foot the majority of the bill for all this if they're insistent on keeping it's citizens under house arrest.

Where I had to disagree with Boris was his words on being led by scientists. It sent shivers down my spine. We're already seen scientists and the economy aren't something to be mixed and balance needs to be applied. Whilst it appears he's started to actually see the wider picture, it's nowhere near enough. That was the only issue I had with last night's speech.

Many more lives will be lost this year – and not necessarily down to contracting Covid19.

I suspect the idiots who don't realise restrictions remain in place will ruin it for us all this weekend, when they'll be out, pictured in their droves to the beaches and national parks...

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:01 pm 

Quote:
Golf courses in England will reopen on Wednesday but only for solo play or for groups from the same household

FFS what does this mean? Staying 2 metres away from playing partners, using gloves to handle rakes, all makes sense.

I've told the wife she now plays golf or I'm moving with the ladies captain.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:36 am 

Rules re golf.

Terms and Conditions of Play

In light of the current Covid 19 pandemic, and in line with ‘play safe, stay safe’ guidance, you must agree to the following code of conduct prior to completing your online tee time booking.

Before your round
· In order to comply with social distancing rules, you must arrive at the 1st tee no more than 5 minutes before your tee off time
· You should aim to arrive at the car park no more than 10 minutes before your tee off time and always try to park away from other vehicles where possible. Please use common sense.
· If a group is waiting on the tee, keep a safe distance of at least 2 metres from them
· Keep the same safe distance from your playing partners whilst waiting at the tee
· No buggies or hire items will be available
· Do not enter the clubhouse or changing facilities

During your round
· Keep two metres apart from your playing group at all times. This includes when teeing off, walking to the ball, putting out and searching for a lost ball
· Do not pick up any stray golf balls you may find
· Do not touch the flagsticks
· Please try to smooth sand in bunkers using your foot or golf club – rakes will not be available

After your round
· When your round is completed, leave the course and club immediately to avoid any gatherings in the clubhouse area
I accept this code of conduct
I cannot accept this code of conduct

Website has crashed due to volume of demand to play tommorrow

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:12 am 

I think anyone who would want to play golf given the situation, should be certified insane.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:48 am 

Why? A four hour walk in the sunshine. Distancing is easily done.

On the other hand, there have been days when I would happily pack the game up.

Depriving people of their pleasure because it does not appeal to you ?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:58 am 

Quote:
Website has crashed due to volume of demand to play tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Wednesday, the day the Government have said if you can go back to work, you must ( so you can't be playing golf). If you work from home (you can't be playing golf). If you can't find a childminder or educating your children from home (you can't be playing golf). If you are a pensioner, you are a high risk and should be at home (so you can't be playing golf).
I therefore deduce everyone playing golf from Wedneday onwards are on jobseekers allowance.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 pm 

Rudolf Hart wrote:
Quote:
Website has crashed due to volume of demand to play tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Wednesday, the day the Government have said if you can go back to work, you must ( so you can't be playing golf). If you work from home (you can't be playing golf). If you can't find a childminder or educating your children from home (you can't be playing golf). If you are a pensioner, you are a high risk and should be at home (so you can't be playing golf).
I therefore deduce everyone playing golf from Wedneday onwards are on jobseekers allowance.

Or retired early like me :wink:

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:10 pm 

I do not see the point of golf. i

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:36 pm 

Quote:
Or retired early like me

And me.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:42 pm 

627 deaths today.
Don't let the cold heart truth get in the way of relaxing the lockdown.
Nobody will be playing golf. Not for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:27 pm 

Yeah Fiona...

Low-skilled...

Like reading a fecking autocue or continually incorrectly guessing how much antiques are worth...

BBC News criticised after saying care workers and bus drivers have 'lower skilled jobs'

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:14 pm 

Does anyone know how the 'R' Number is calculated?
We can calculate our BMI as a ratio of height and weight, The origin of a unit of alcohol is still a mystery, but the 'R' Number ? Is it a guarded formula only known by a secret guild of academics - or is it just a load of boll**ks made up on the back of a Whitehall napkin ?
ie: divide the population* of the UK by 66 million = 1

*nobody knows what that is either.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:34 pm 

Rudolf Hart wrote:
Does anyone know how the 'R' Number is calculated?
We can calculate our BMI as a ratio of height and weight, The origin of a unit of alcohol is still a mystery, but the 'R' Number ? Is it a guarded formula only known by a secret guild of academics - or is it just a load of boll**ks made up on the back of a Whitehall napkin ?
ie: divide the population* of the UK by 66 million = 1

*nobody knows what that is either.

It is about as genuine as the reasons given for black and Asian people being disproportionally affected. They can't bring themselves to say it is generic (in the same way that men are more likely to get it than women) so they have come up with some pc reasoning that it is all down to low earnings and poor living conditions. :roll:

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:27 am 

Well lockdown seems to have worked here. Tomorrow the country moves down to alert level 2. No new cases for the past two days and total cases a smidgen under 1500. Deaths attributed to the virus 21.
Certain restrictions on public gatherings but for most people life will return to normal.
The economic cost of course is another matter. Tomorrow’s budget will be interesting to say the least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next