* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus UK
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:42 am 

Golf to me is just 'long range snooker'. It's never personally appealed to me. I've worked with various people over the years who are very much into it, but all the 'golf natter' has gone over my head. Would I want to stop people playing it at the moment? No – of course not. Each to their own. As long as they're sensible, I don't know what the problem will be.

I'm seriously considering just going out for a drive sometime over the weekend – now that Boris has allowed a bit of slack in our leashes to 'unlimited exercise'. If I find somewhere remote and safe enough to pull over – I'll get out and have a bit of a walk. If not, I'll happily just have a 'round robin' trip somewhere and not leave the car. Just something to break up the utter monotony of either being at home or at work.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:40 am 

Played nine holes this morning with a club member , also retired . Turned up five minutes before, kept 2 metres apart and touched nothing except clubs, tee pitch mark repairer and ball . Played badly , but enjoyed the walk. Went straight home afterwards.

Back to decorating...……... :(

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:02 am 

I would like to be a reasonable golfer but even if I practised every day I would not improve because I have painful joints and my fingers hurt too much.

The irony, of course, is that when I lived in Sunningdale ( 20 years ago) I was often to be found in the Clubhouse as a guest of our local Bank Manager who was a member. There was actually a little gang of us but after a nice lunch they would go for a 'round' while I sloped off back to work.

The positive side to this sad state of affairs, I suppose, is that I was spared the membership fees!

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:23 am 

The people who want the government mandated lockdown and furlough to continue seem to fall into one of four categories:

1. Bolshie oiks who haven't done a days honest work in their lives, and who despite generally eating too much, drinking too much and smoking, now pretend to care about public health. Anything to bash the Tories.

2. Public sector workers with stable jobs, who are pretending to work from home. Essentially this is an extended holiday.

3. Furloughed workers, who again quite like being paid to not go into work. Maybe a subset of category 1 and 2. They are having the time of their lives in some cases. Long may it continue!

4. Those with no financial concerns. Pensioners with a consistent income, and the independently wealthy.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:54 am 

Son works for a county council, in charge of £6 billion assets. Working from home presents no problem,

Daughter works for Channel 4 as a producer. Working from home means she has to juggle looking after two todlers an can only get down to work when they let he.

As for me category 4 on all counts.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:53 pm 

Now we have to deal with these morons...

Anti-lockdown protests scheduled to take place in Manchester described as an 'insult' to NHS workers

As far as I am concerned we shouldn't pi$$ about with them. Arrest anyone seen to be protesting and seeing as they are seemingly immune to the need to socially-distance chuck them all in as few cells as possible.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:40 am 

Breaking News
Quote:
Antibody test that shows with 100% accuracy who has had CoronaVirus is approved for use in the UK

Quote:
Ministers order millions to get people back to work

Quote:
Boris Johnson's ultimate goal of 250,000 tests a day

Relax, no need to rush - it'll take 10 months at that rate.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 am 

Spot on, Andy. As someone who has continued on working throughout the pandemic (and in the office which seems to be a "no, no" these days, my patience with those still not in work but have the option to do so, is beginning to grate on me. Especially when you know you're just about keeping your head above water as it is by working without furlough benefits. Those who are furloughed in the hospitality industry through enforced closures are not included here – they have my sympathy.

At what point do we say "enough's enough" with regards to furlough? As things stand, many people are effectively seeing it as a 'gap year' as sorts and coming up with all sorts of faux-fears to prevent them from actually going back to work. What they don't realise is that a large amount of them won't likely have a job to go back to. Depending on how much of a recession we find ourselves in, they might have to get used to sitting at home for the next couple of years…and eventually without 80% of their salary.

A few nights ago on the radio there was a question asked about people wanting to put themselves on furlough pay if they felt their workplace was 'too dangerous'. As far as I'm concerned, that shouldn't be an option. You can only imagine the amount of 'pee' taking that would cause. Especially where the public sector is concerned. If it is an option some take up, then once the inevitable tax rises come into force, they can pay a higher rate of tax than the rest of us who are back in work or in my case, never left in the first place. Their selfishness will cost us all. Again, I exclude those in the hospitality industry where current lockdown measures are beyond their control.

I'm not saying we should revert back to normal immediately with no restrictions. That would be reckless. What we need to see is everything back open as soon as possible – with social distancing measures in place. Obviously this isn't an easy task. However, it returns at least some basic civil liberties to the UK and allows the economy to at least 'tick over'.

With regards to the protest (I've read reports of another one planned in Devon), I don't condone the behavior, but I can understand the frustration. I said right at the start of lockdown that we'll see a rise in civil unrest the longer it remains in place. Expect more of it over the coming weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:57 am 

The way to understand the lockdown is as follows: do not think of it as avoiding catching the disease yourself, think of it as avoiding spreading your disease to others. The whole point was to avoid overwhelming the NHS and to give it time to prepare, this has now been done. And whilst the disease sadly does kill, the overall mortality rate is still very low.

I'm not saying open everything up immediately. I am in the fortunate position of being able to work from home at 95% effectiveness. I am happy to limit my trips outside to stop the spread (well, not happy, but I accept it). But for those with no way of generating income, I am not in a position to explain to them that they should stay at home. Another point to consider is everybody is now scared senseless and will be taking proper precautions.

Unfortunately, there may not be a vaccine. The disease may never go away. We cannot wait for this to happen indefinitely. And as Rudolf Hart said, these big number milestones for testing are tiny when compared to the population.

Last edited by Andy on Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:06 pm 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/melinda- ... xbyqw4vorq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One billionaire saying we should all stay at home as long as possible......how noble. One comment about this was

Is it just a coincidence that Remdesivir is made by Gilead the “CURE” for COVID-19... here’s where it gets interesting China holds patent on the drug through an agreement with Gilead’s drug patent sharing subsidiary branch, UNITAID who has an office near Wuhan. Guess who are the main financial investors in UNITAID..George Soros, Bill & Melinda Gates, & WHO. It’s just a coincidence isn’t it?

On the other hand, Rocco from the Forte family says everyone should be back at work. Sitting on his luxury yaucht away from any customer contact , he would have his own respirator if he caught even a mild cold, so he is not exactly at risk. Like Trump, he inherited a large business and has always had people telling him how wonderful he is to his face and what a complete rsoul he is behind his back.

In other words , mark them down as fours Andy

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:23 pm 

Never forget what triggered the Arab Spring, which lead to the overthrow of several governments and civil wars in multiple countries.

It wasn't the lack of civil rights. It wasn't hunger. It wasn't poverty. They had all been going on for many years without any revolution.

It was triggered when a petty government bureaucrat stopped a poor man from selling fruit and vegetables in the street and destroyed his livelihood.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:17 pm 

Here is a brief tutorial from George Carlin (PBUH) about your "rights" ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-R8T1SuG4

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:04 pm 

We are being advised not to use public transport where possible yet that dickhead is not only reinstating the London congestion charge from Monday, he's putting the charge up!

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:44 am 

It looks like Gavin Williamson, the Education Secretary, is being lined up as the fall guy, with his promise of children returning to school in June and staying safe from Covid.
It's such a shame, when our Tory MP, voted 635th most popular MP, would be more suitable in that role.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:01 am 

I think there is a long line of fall guys in the Tory front bench. Hancock and Williamson seem to be destined to be back bench nobodies very soon, but I can not see any politician of any party who has contributed anything useful.

Everyone seems to be hell bent on criticising others rather than making an intelligent comment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next