* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus UK
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 am 

Quote:
what actually is the job ?

1.Running the country while the PM gets on with writing a set of memoirs.
2. Beating the crap out of media luvvies
3. Lying about errors
4. Misleading people so they do not know what is actually happening.

Read Alistair Campbell's biography to see how devious you need to be. One rule, don't get caught.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:49 pm 

I'm not one to jump into the trial by media, and I think that certain politicians and sections of the press are joining in the pile on just because Cummings works for Johnson. He deserves to have his say and offer an explanation, and if it was within the rules that should be that. But I agree he seems like a nasty character. You could very easily see him believing "one rule for me, one for the plebs".

What I don't like is the "edging towards a confession/resignation" that seems to happen these days. Politicians like to do this, thinking that the matter will drop, but all it does is wind people up further. It goes in stages:
-Incident is reported (by left wing paper/right wing paper depending on who did it)
-"Considered a personal matter"
-"It will be dealt with internally"
-"Spirit of the rules"
-"Error of judgement"
-"Difficult circumstances"
-"Full confidence of the prime minister"
-"Understands what they did was wrong"
-Eventual firing/resignation in disgrace

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:35 pm 

How useless are the nation's journalists?

Not one of them has asked why he didn't simply use the telephone to discuss the circumstances with his parents.
Not one of them has asked why he wasn't tested.
Not one of them has asked why, when he has admitted himself he was ill, he thought it OK to drive 260 miles in one go.
Not one of them has asked why he considers himself indespensible
Not one of them has asked asked anything about the time when his wife, Mary Wakefield, was working at the Spectator when Boris was her boss and if there anything the public should know about their working relationship.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:13 pm 

My local pub is changing its name to 'The Dominic Cummings'.
It can open when it wants, for as long as it wants.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:46 pm 

I am also puzzled as to how hopping into a car and driving c. 30 miles serves as a test of your "fitness to drive".

Am I alone is this ?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:03 am 

Rudolf Hart wrote:
My local pub is changing its name to 'The Dominic Cummings'.
It can open when it wants, for as long as it wants.

That's a weird coincidence. Last night I had a strange dream. I dreamt I had gone into a country pub called "The Domenic Arms" where I met Nigel Farage. I was telling him how I had just been given the Job of Boris Johnson's top advisor but he told me that he had also been offered the job!

I was just leaving the pub when someone came in who I worked with many years ago (a very successful property developer). I told him about the new job but he claimed he had been offered it too!

We went outside where our cars were parked in the lane. They were both new F Type Vauxhall Victors provided by the Government. :shock:

Is lockdown is playing with my mind?

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:11 pm 

On the subject of Mr Cummings, only a couple of years ago I drove 240 miles in one stint. Not something I usually do, granted, but circumstances dictated I needed to. I believe some in the media have little knowledge of cars and asking what cars can do 500 miles on one tank. I presume these are London-elites who can afford electric cars with diddy ranges? The current Depressedmobile and the previous three (possibly four) can comfortably do in the mid to high 500’s on a tank of fuel with steady enough driving. My last car would often get just over the 600 mark after a distance run.

Tony.T wrote:
Have you thought about asking for an antibody test? Might be worthwhile.

I went on the NHS 111 website at the time. It was simple enough to use but at the end of it all I was told it was 'unlikely' I had it and no further action required. There was no other options for second opinions or contacting someone e.t.c... So I just left it there.

Granted, the situation would likely be different now given the symptoms I had have been added but whatever it was, I feel I've almost got over now.

williamtravis wrote:
It could be . Who knows ?. As we all get older aches and pains are part and parcel of life.

Anywho . Just because you have had the lurgy it does not necessarily mean that you are now

immune .

Indeed. I wouldn't like to speculate what I had because the truth is, I don't know. All I know is that I had a complete loss of smell and taste several weeks ago. No other symptoms. I felt completely normal otherwise. If I did have it - then so be it. If I didn't, all I'll say is that it was unusual for me to lose both so quickly and so drastically. I still think it was just a head cold, personally. I managed to work throughout it anyway (p.s - I've still to take any paid leave this year as a result of all of the pandemic).

I feel fine now... Well, 'fine' by my standards which isn't exactly saying a lot.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:05 pm 

Test
Isolate
Trace

I think the government is trying to tell the public something.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:40 am 

After Wendesday's BLM 'protest' in London, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a spike in cases over the next few weeks.

If that's going to be the case, can I just say now it'll be the same people who supported (and continue to support) draconian lockdown measures will be the same people who either took part in the thuggish rabble and/or support their reckless actions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:32 am 

Mr Depressed wrote:
After Wendesday's BLM 'protest' in London, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a spike in cases over the next few weeks.

If that's going to be the case, can I just say now it'll be the same people who supported (and continue to support) draconian lockdown measures will be the same people who either took part in the thuggish rabble and/or support their reckless actions.

As the Bible says: "whatsoever a man soweth , that shall he also reap" (Galatians V!).

Darwin also had a similar answer that could be attributed to people stupid enough to gather in large groups in a viral Pandemic.

Of course if they believe they are behaving in an intelligent way then there is no hope for them. :roll:

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:18 am 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marlamilli ... 26c71029e4

Damn! :evil:

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21