* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Travel problems
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:11 pm 

Let's for example assume next week we can fly where we want to no restrictions however we
have to self isolate for 14 days on return.
If you are furloughed or working from home then no problem .
However if you are one of those working as usual keeping the country going
then no holiday for you .
Gonna become a problem in my view .

Malcolm X

Post subject: Re: Travel problems
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:54 pm 

This policy is another example of putting the cart before the horse. (In my opinion). If quarantine had been introduced at the outset when we knew CV was coming then maybe lives could have been saved.

To say it's too little too late is to gravely understate the situation.

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:17 am 

Alternatively, let's assume everywhere else can fly to the UK with no restrictions however they must self isolate for 14 days on their return?
No quarantine prior to flying in or out, but after a week's holiday? Coz that's what you're saying.
money, money, money....
I am sure the Spanish would just love to have unquarantined Brits amongst them.
money, money, money....
Let's just leave it a few months, Is a holiday worth dying for?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:22 am 

Rudolf Hart wrote:
Alternatively, let's assume everywhere else can fly to the UK with no restrictions however they must self isolate for 14 days on their return?
No quarantine prior to flying in or out, but after a week's holiday? Coz that's what you're saying.
money, money, money....
I am sure the Spanish would just love to have unquarantined Brits amongst them.
money, money, money....
Let's just leave it a few months, Is a holiday worth dying for?

I agree.

However my badly made point was those that have worked throughout lockdown
will not be able to get away whereas those who are furloughed\working from home will.
NHS staff in particular are not going to be particularly happy should this arise.

Malcolm X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:29 am 

old git wrote:
This policy is another example of putting the cart before the horse. (In my opinion). If quarantine had been introduced at the outset when we knew CV was coming then maybe lives could have been saved.

To say it's too little too late is to gravely understate the situation.

+1

Malcolm X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 am 

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I would be comfortable going on holiday abroad, think of the resentment of the local non furloughed staff, the relatives of those that have died as a result of Covid, seeing holidaymakers living it up
The same could apply to holidays in the UK as well.
These are raw times, I still think holidays are low priority.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:57 am 

I agree; foreign holidays are a luxury which we have come to believe is a necessity. A first world problem, and yes, we would do well to have a care for others less fortunate. On the other hand, many people rely on tourism for their living.

Just my four penneth. :|

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:09 pm 

I remain working, have been throughout this period and remain without a day's paid leave this year. I can truthfully say that the weekends, which I'm fortunate enough to not usually work, no longer recharge my batteries after a week at the daily grind. I'm going into work almost as knackered as I was when I left on Friday afternoon. It surely cannot be good for my health.

I have my first planned two days off of the year next month. Both days were already arranged long before the whole business of lockdown. I will have gone more than half a year without so much as a day off. I think it's only me and the office manager who remain that way. Those 'working' from home? They've all had several days off already despite only doing about two thirds of their usual workload and no longer dealing with the daily commute.

With regards to holidays, I've already long since accepted I won't be having one this year. I've written the year off and I suspect most sensible people already have done. As my holidays are UK-based anyway, the business over flying or abroad doesn't matter to me. Only those who like to brag about certain foreign jaunts to their friends, I'd imagine… Anyway, you won't find many tourist boards here in the UK willing to take guests at the moment, despite the tourist industry being on it's backside. Something which, as stated in another thread, ought to be reminded to them when they're absolutely crying out for people to visit their respective areas. Especially where Wales, Scotland and the Lake District are concerned – which have been especially critical of the hands which feed them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:41 pm 

Having been abroad at the beginning of the year and had Italy cancelled last month, I see no reason to travel this year. If things return to normal by the end of the summer , we might book Florida for March....

But the drop in travel is a good thing, and people need to stop taking so much for granted.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:08 pm 

The Mehm'Sahib and I spend quite a bit of our holiday time, bank holidays and long weekends travelling around the UK and Ireland chasing our family history. This year we spent a week in Norwich in February followed by a few days in Colchester for my birthday (so I could spend it in my favourite bar) and then lockdown curtailed any further trips we had planned thus far. So we went into retro mode.

During our travels we have collected crates full of leaflets, booklets, tourist info guides, town maps, cinema/theatre/museum, and other entry tickets, and all the other bits and bobs that end up in the glove box and the car boot when one is out and about. We have thousands and thousands of the photograhs that digital technlogy allows nowadays, and then there's the gin. We try and find a local gin for everywhere we visit and bring it back to add to our collection. At the last count we have had over 200 different bottles of gin from all over the UK and Ireland and a few which have been brought back by friends and family from abroad as gifts.

So, during lockdown we have spent many of our weekends re-visiting the places we have travelled to, digging through the stockpile of memorabilia, sorting through and printing photos to put into albums (as a more permanent and easily accessible memory), looking through the videos we have taken, looking back at the family history stuff we unearthed, cooking (or attempting to cook) some of the meals we had in the various restaurants and eateries and, most importantly, drinking the gin and just remembering. We have built up a number of scrapbooks that, had it not been for lockdown would never have been made.

Next week we are going back to the Lake District where we spent a fantastic week in the August of 2014. The week after that... Well let's just see where the crates take us... :)

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.