* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The 'New Normal'
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:49 pm 

There appears to be only one thing certain in these uncertain times – and that's the need for authoritarian, dystopian changes to society by the left and "we must remain locked down forever" zealots. The term which makes my toes curl at the moment is 'New Normal'. It's something I've seen left, right and centre in recent weeks.

Livelihoods being lost by the thousands, purely to 'protect the NHS'.

The economy being flushed down the toilet for the same reason as stated above.

Tourist Boards across the UK being incredibly territorial – effectively pushing away the very business they rely on to survive. Something which will not be forgotten quickly by people like myself who have always supported our own tourist industry. It's a slap in the face.

Moronic motorists driving around like headless chickens despite literally nowhere being open and therefore nowhere to actually go. On a similar note, cyclists who are now resolutely sticking further and further out into the road – because they continue to be highlighted as the government's best friend.

Being told repetitively by that woman on the radio advert that we should only travel if "we absolutely must".

Not being able to go to the pub for a quiet pint.

Journalists becoming activists and wanting to have their own "gotcha" moment with any political figure.

Wearing a mask whilst out in confined public spaces – as if we're muzzled-up dogs.

The Big Brother business over 'Track and Trace' we'll be expected to put onto our phones (no thanks).

Abroad, we've seen a south Korean football club replacing real supporters with blow up sex dolls.

The only measure I support, purely from a selfish perspective, is Social Distancing. As I said recently, I've never really been a 'people person' and keeping my distance from others or not getting involved in group activities is a natural stance I've taken for much of my life. Probably going as far back as my late teens, actually.

Going back to pubs, I've even seen a clip of a pub abroad introducing large, inflatable rubber-rings for it's customers to walk around in whilst outside in the beer-garden to keep them two metres apart :shock: . It's not often I'm lost for words, but this is such an occasion. There's social distancing, then there's being pathetic. This very much falls into the latter category.

I beginning to feel as though I'm living on another planet. We seem to be tackling the Coronavirus by adapting to it, rather than actively tackling it. One analogy I could use is that rather than putting the fire out of a burning building, we're given fire-resistant suits, then told to go inside and live with it. No questions asked.

If this 'New Normal' is going to last indefinitely – could someone please put a bullet in me and take me out of my miserable existence at long last?

Post subject: Re: The 'New Normal'
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:42 pm 

Mr Depressed wrote:
There appears to be only one thing certain in these uncertain times – and that's the need for authoritarian, dystopian changes to society by the left and "we must remain locked down forever" zealots. The term which makes my toes curl at the moment is 'New Normal'. It's something I've seen left, right and centre in recent weeks.

Livelihoods being lost by the thousands, purely to 'protect the NHS'.

The economy being flushed down the toilet for the same reason as stated above.

Tourist Boards across the UK being incredibly territorial – effectively pushing away the very business they rely on to survive. Something which will not be forgotten quickly by people like myself who have always supported our own tourist industry. It's a slap in the face.

Moronic motorists driving around like headless chickens despite literally nowhere being open and therefore nowhere to actually go. On a similar note, cyclists who are now resolutely sticking further and further out into the road – because they continue to be highlighted as the government's best friend.

Being told repetitively by that woman on the radio advert that we should only travel if "we absolutely must".

Not being able to go to the pub for a quiet pint.

Journalists becoming activists and wanting to have their own "gotcha" moment with any political figure.

Wearing a mask whilst out in confined public spaces – as if we're muzzled-up dogs.

The Big Brother business over 'Track and Trace' we'll be expected to put onto our phones (no thanks).

Abroad, we've seen a south Korean football club replacing real supporters with blow up sex dolls.

The only measure I support, purely from a selfish perspective, is Social Distancing. As I said recently, I've never really been a 'people person' and keeping my distance from others or not getting involved in group activities is a natural stance I've taken for much of my life. Probably going as far back as my late teens, actually.

Going back to pubs, I've even seen a clip of a pub abroad introducing large, inflatable rubber-rings for it's customers to walk around in whilst outside in the beer-garden to keep them two metres apart :shock: . It's not often I'm lost for words, but this is such an occasion. There's social distancing, then there's being pathetic. This very much falls into the latter category.

I beginning to feel as though I'm living on another planet. We seem to be tackling the Coronavirus by adapting to it, rather than actively tackling it. One analogy I could use is that rather than putting the fire out of a burning building, we're given fire-resistant suits, then told to go inside and live with it. No questions asked.

If this 'New Normal' is going to last indefinitely – could someone please put a bullet in me and take me out of my miserable existence at long last?

A literary work of art Sir

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:04 pm 

Rubber Rings in pubs??? How do you go for a wizz? Oh yes, in all the obfuscation they forgot to say the toilets will remain shut.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:16 am 

If pubs keep the toilets shut, there's going to be an awful lot of urine-stained brick walls around the back or in the alleyways…

One I forgot to mention which I can add to that list are local authorities taking this as an opportunity to implement draconian methods to literally force you to walk or use the bus to get into the town centre by widening pavements e.t.c. What an idiotic thing to do. It's limiting people's own choices through social engineering and making it even more unlikely for passing trade to come through. I'm sorry, but couple this together with over 20 years worth of parking charges and complicated restrictions, they've only got themselves to blame for the failure of the traditional high street. It has a distinct "this is a local town for local people" vibe about it – completely discounting the fact that people do move about. This is a 'new normal' which has a distinct centre-left vibe about it. Count me out. I'll keep away from town and city centres in future if measures like this continue. I'll stick to the borders or out-of-town centres.

Here's another one worthwhile throwing in – contactless payments looking much more likely in the future. Without cash, this means your movements can be traced via each and every transaction. People discuss 'apple pay' – which I don't have a clue about or how to work. So, the 'new normal', also involves either a Big Brother style society or not being able to buy anything as you're not a techno-wiz kid.

Another part of the 'new normal' I'm finding, especially after last weekend, are people igniting torches and getting the pitchforks ready for anyone who dares leave their house for non-essential trips (in England). It's turned some people into authoritarian robots, rather than using common sense.

biffothebare wrote:

Thank you. When I grump, I like to do it properly!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:46 am 

Mr Depressed wrote:
If pubs keep the toilets shut, there's going to be an awful lot of urine-stained brick walls around the back or in the alleyways…

One I forgot to mention which I can add to that list are local authorities taking this as an opportunity to implement draconian methods to literally force you to walk or use the bus to get into the town centre by widening pavements e.t.c. What an idiotic thing to do. It's limiting people's own choices through social engineering and making it even more unlikely for passing trade to come through. I'm sorry, but couple this together with over 20 years worth of parking charges and complicated restrictions, they've only got themselves to blame for the failure of the traditional high street. It has a distinct "this is a local town for local people" vibe about it – completely discounting the fact that people do move about. This is a 'new normal' which has a distinct centre-left vibe about it. Count me out. I'll keep away from town and city centres in future if measures like this continue. I'll stick to the borders or out-of-town centres.

Here's another one worthwhile throwing in – contactless payments looking much more likely in the future. Without cash, this means your movements can be traced via each and every transaction. People discuss 'apple pay' – which I don't have a clue about or how to work. So, the 'new normal', also involves either a Big Brother style society or not being able to buy anything as you're not a techno-wiz kid.

Another part of the 'new normal' I'm finding, especially after last weekend, are people igniting torches and getting the pitchforks ready for anyone who dares leave their house for non-essential trips (in England). It's turned some people into authoritarian robots, rather than using common sense.

biffothebare wrote:

Thank you. When I grump, I like to do it properly!

This may all sound a bit David Icke but I have to agree with the above .
The "new normal" is not meant for those of us who are getting on a bit
as we are getting thinner by the number daily but for the younger generation.
"Cashless" society is slowly being implemented and will be seen as normal
and the way it has always been done by younger people.

Annuver fing that has occurred to me recently is that in the week leading up to
lockdown a chap that I know,who works in the city, invited me out for a drink and
informed me that the "City" was already locked down and his business trips to Madrid
had been cancelled for the past few weeks . There will be a mahoosive recession etc etc..
However Cheltenham still went ahead whilst 3000 Atletico Madrid fans were able to spread
God knows what in Liverpool for a CL match .

It is almost as if the great and the good who work in the City were given the heads up and
head start regarding lockdown and were able to make there way to their country retreat whilst
the plebs were distracted with racing and football ?

Malcolm X

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:39 am 

As an eighty year old with diabetes I fear that my life has changed forever.

I doubt if I will ever be able to get in my car and drive to Spain again for an eye test. I suppose I shall have to check in to some establishment in this country and pay through the nose for my bottle of Blue Nun. Not to mention never to enjoy those delicious prawns from Argentina, or fresh fish straight from the boat.

As for those old folk who like to don tuxedos and go on cruises what will they do? Surely, no-one in their right mind would book a cruise until a vaccine has been found.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 am 

Our local estate agent has told me that interest in villages is up as more people are looking to move from the city and work from home. I would not normally speak to an estate agent or listen to a word they say , but she does have a superb frontage. So more working for home, less commuters should be a good thing. Less crowded in the cities as the immigrant population get better housing. The new normal does seem to have some positives.

The dying high street has had a mortal blow. Courier companies will deliver ,you do not need to go anywhere. Trying it on is not recommended. Maybe , clothes manufacturers will finally make sure that the size is the same for all brands. Being a 32 " waist in M&S but a 34" in Next is ridiculous, but if they are going to sell without trying it on, does this not mean they should make sure it is what it says it is. Then they can aim high and make women's sizes...….we can only dream.

Cashless is dangerous. The geek in Lithuania/India/Serbia can pick up your card details and you are screwed. The banks are always two steps behind the crooks,

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:16 am 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-austra ... ting-story

I think the Aussies have a new normal as well. The provision of breakfast showed remarkable composure.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:01 am 

Mama Depressed is a borderline diabetic (type two) and she's coming to the conclusion she'll be near-housebound or in the garden for the remainder of her life. She's someone who has no friends and unfortunately listens to the depressing waffle on the news – over and over again. Hearing the way she's been talking, I fear it's brainwashed her for the worse. Barring occasional essential grocery shopping with Depressed Senior, I'm only aware of her leaving the house three times since the lockdown began. Two of those occasions being in the last fortnight. That can't be healthy no matter how you look at it.

Credit/debit cards e.t.c have their uses and there are times where I prefer to use them. What I don't want to see is a full blown 'cashless society'. It'll be advertised as being considerably more convenient. What won't be advertised is that what happens if a card payment is declined? The card is damaged? What are you supposed to do? Not only that, as I said before, every single transaction can be traced to a location. In effect, there's a great potential to be monitored everywhere you go. No assurances will convince me otherwise, sorry.

As time goes by, it's looking increasingly unlikely we'll have a fully manned office at work again. Only yesterday I overheard the 'powers that be' seriously considering leaving those working from home where they are for the foreseeable future. The only time they'd need to come in would be to cover the few (such as myself) who remain office-based whenever we're off. I don't personally have an issue with them continuing to work from home as I'm far from a social person anyway (and I'm finding it a much more relaxing atmosphere at the moment), but I can see some of them really struggling to get to terms with not gossiping daily.

The traditional high street will never come back if local authorities and the government continue to demonise the car as a viable mode of transport for the masses. We've seen parking charges and restrictions drive people away and with at least chunk of that roadspace, which we've paid for to use, handed over to pedestrians and cyclists – it's going to be very difficult to get there by car in the future. There's no acceptance that not everyone wants to use public transport. Not everyone wants to cycle or have the ability to walk for miles on end.

We should be fighting against what's clearly a tyrannical 'new normal'. It's easy to give up freedoms and civil liberties, but getting them back is hard. I'm by no means a conspiracy theorist but I can certainly see an element of fear being used to impose control on people. I've said in the recent past that I don't listen to the media questions section after the daily briefing. It's now got to the point I don't even listen to the latter any more. The longer this goes on, the less I see any return to anything approaching normality in our lifetimes.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:17 pm 

On the news tonight - "People's rights to sunbathe'.
How about 'People's responsibilities whilst sunbathing?

Who knows? - we could extend people's responsibilities for everything else.......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:10 am 

The trouble is that because we've lived in what I consider to be a 'nanny state' for so long, some people have forgotten self-responsibility and self-reliance. I honestly feel these people are waiting for a handbook from the government. What to do and what not to do, rather than judging the situation for themselves.

The tyrants in charge of the devolved Scottish and Welsh governments really don't like the idea of people having control of their own lives in the same way again. That's become obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:02 pm 

Mr Depressed wrote:

The tyrants in charge of the devolved Scottish and Welsh governments really don't like the idea of people having control of their own lives in the same way again. That's become obvious.

Surely you can't mean Queen Nicola, "She - Wolf of the SSNP" ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:23 am 

Indeed. Nicola Sturgeon and Mark Drakeford are the two people I'm looking at. The latter very much reminds me of a scouse sales rep (albeit looking a few years older than him) we used to have in my last job. I couldn't stand him either.

Being cautious is something I respect and understand. However, I think they've been over-zealous and petulant. I hold the pair of them responsible for the confusion over where the general public stand, as all they care about is 'going against the grain' to Westminster to make cheap political points. Personally, I think this pair have been unreasonable and draconian about the whole Coronavirus affair almost from day one.

What worries me about all of this, not just discussing these two, is that there's been no talk about actually returning to normal. All we hear about is the 'new' normal. I find it an incredibly sinister approach considering vaccines are in development. What excuses will they use to keep us to this 'new' normal once it becomes available? I understand they can't put a timetable on a situation like this, but no one wants to even give a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. It's a case of 'like it or lump it' when it comes to the indefinite removal of civil liberties and basic freedoms. Oh yes, also having a functioning economy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 am 

This from Wikipedia on Drakeford ;

Quote:
Drakeford is considered to be on the left-wing of the Labour Party, and is supported by some members of the grassroots groups Welsh Labour Grassroots and Momentum.[1] He was the only sitting Cabinet member in any part of the UK to support Jeremy Corbyn in his bid for the national leadership of the Labour Party in 2015, while he was Minister for Health and Social Services.[2]

That pretty much says it all about him, enough said there.

The point about "going against the grain" is well made, especially for Sturgeon - it's simply being different for the sake of it for political point scoring.

Taking this further though, I have to say that the overall standard of leadership through this whole issue has been dire, there's not a single one of our politicians that has given me any sense of confidence, and given the seriousness of the situation why ever Westminster did not declare a state of emergency and cut out the Scottish and Welsh assemblies to give an unquestionable national lockstep on the response is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:31 pm 

Agreed. Whilst I understand they're all stuck between a rock and a hard place on the issue, all of them have been a let down. I don't agree with Boris or his 'experts' on continuing some of the draconian lockdown measures at this stage (I reluctantly agreed to start off with – purely to get things under control) and I feel Matt Hancock has been almost as tyrannical as the Sturgeon/Drakeford duo. I'd given up listening to him when the end of every single question with the tedious phrase of "Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives". He banged that drum for so long and so hard that he’s brainwashed people to basically remain on Furlough. At the end of all this, he'll also be high up my list of people who need to face some very difficult questions.

As much as I don't want to see people out of work, I honestly feel the tourist industries in Scotland and Wales should continue to struggle. Sturgeon and Drakeford are hell-bent on pushing their biggest industry away. Then there's that awful Ian Blackford who comes out with comments like this. All three need to be reminded of this time of resentment when the 'naughty English' are allowed to cross their borders again to spend money. One thing is for sure – I certainly won't be spending any money again in either for the foreseeable future.