* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Police lunacy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:17 am 

I can understand why many many police forces are de prioritising crime, but trying to stop the sale of Easter eggs is utterly ridiculous, what next, doughnuts.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/east ... -n9v62kbhs

Post subject: Re: Police lunacy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:35 am 

Maybe obesity is a factor in ability to recover from the lergy.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:27 pm 

There are lots of cases where officials and the police start throwing their weight around but don't actually understand the legislation they are acting under at the time. One case being highlighted at the moment is where someone was told a can of paint is not an 'essential' item at this time but there is actually no law prohibiting the sale or purchase of a can of paint. The official concerned is making a personal interpretation of the guidelines being issued by the government.

A common case in more normal circumstances is photography in public places. I have been told by the police it's illegal to take photos of them when it was no such thing. I was in a public place, the police were in a public area so no law was being broken at that time. The police just don't like you recording their actions for some reason.

Another is when the police attend at the execution of a search warrant. They are there purely to ensure there is no breach of the peace but all to often they stick their noses in at the behest of the baliffs in order to try and intimidate those who warrants are being served on.

The situation where officials are ordering shop keepers not to sell certain items is simply down to their misinterpretation or simple misunderstanding of what is in reality a simple piece of legislation. Either that or they are being over zealous in the use of their powers - which is often more likely the case.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:33 am 

Both BBC and Sky have mentioned this and a former Supreme Court Judge has expressed concern.

Paint enables people to decorate while they remain locked in their homes. My son recently bought a load of compost from B&Q without ant trouble Surely ant items which allow people to fill in the time is if not necessary, allowable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:13 am 

We had a decorator booked for the first week of the shut down. My wife decided I should be able to step up, much to my disgust. I would choose root canal work over decorating every time.

I ordered some paint etc from Wickes and clicked and collected without being within two metres of anyone. I tried to order some turps and a paint scrapper, but was unable . Apparently, they need to see if you are over 25 to buy those goods, and from more than 2 metres , that is not possible. As I am 65 this year, this is the biggest compliment I have been paid in some time.FFS

As the news tells stories on murder, suicide and other signs of being locked in driving people to extreme measures, a bit of DIY seems a small price to pay.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:00 pm 

As the news tells stories on murder, suicide and other signs of being locked in driving people to extreme measures, a bit of DIY seems a small price to pay.

Indeed, I predict that domestic violence will rocket. I have hidden the kitchen knives where the Memsahib cannot find them

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:36 pm 

A CC appears to agree with me

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... s-ago.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:16 pm 

I have been out for the first time in ten days to pick up groceries and prescriptions. I was amazed at how many people were out running. In fact, at most road junctions they were causing a bit of a tail back on the pavement!
It is surely becoming excessive and makes a mockery of the lockdown.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 am 

If regular exercise prolongs life I do not see the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:33 pm 

Not a lot surprises me in life any more but I will say the actions of some of the police can only be described as authoritarian and draconian. Whatever happened to discretion and common sense? Can anyone honestly see the new 'super powers' they have being removed at some point in the future? I honestly can’t.

I simply don't understand what the problem is with people walking or relaxing in parks, providing they're keeping to the government's social distancing guidelines. Especially in major cities where many people live in flats which don't come with gardens.

I'd love to nip into B&Q or Wikes at some point to buy some wood so I can finish the trellis I've started making in the back garden. However, I can't see PC Plod looking too kindly on that – should I be 'caught' on what's considered a 'non-essential' journey. It's made me paranoid in that respect. No doubt I'm not alone there, either...

Once all this Coronavirus business is over, I can't see the general public looking back too fondly on the over-zealous measures of some police forces. It'll certainly live long in my memory.

As a side note, Matthew Hancock goes further and 'instructs' (effectively bans) outdoor exercise, then I can see people's respect for this lockdown breaking down very quickly indeed. There's only so much people are going to tolerate. Especially as we move into warmer months where we'll end up with a situation where people will literally be climbing the walls to get out of their houses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:06 pm 

hindmost wrote:
My views pretty much mirror the Guvnor's here ;

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pu ... M%3DHDRSC4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise, cynic that I am, when this is all over I am reasonably certain of two things ;

1. We'll be paying a bit more tax
2. We'll be a bit less free.

See (2) - told you so !