* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Give your self the Clap!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:19 am 

What gets on My Goat is what happens at Awards Ceremonies !
(mostly in the US, but thats where 99.999999 % of them are held anywaze,)
Anyway, when being nominated or announced the Winner, these manner-less sods...er sorry actors mainly, Clap themselves! To Me this is the Hiieght of Bad Manners!
Even at the joke Awards like the Golden Globe they do it. I mention the AU O because it's supposed to be run by Europeans.
I've noticed that at the Oscars peole are slowly being Taught not to do this, yet when Jammie Fox was given the Gong for playing Ray Charles he clapped himself stupid.

It's the same as a Toast, when a host asks you to Charge your Glass to he/she it, the object of the Toast is obliged to sit still and recieve the honour being giving!
Oh, why do US people tuck thier napkins in their Collars?
To me it is a statement that they can't feed themselves with out flinging food left right and center!
My family is in the Eating Game and it is only Yanks, and the odd Yup that still do this !
( eating Crab legs I can understand but shirley it's not that hard ?)
Why ?

Postal note, why do Americans cut their food holding the knife in the right hand and the fork in the left? They then put down the knife and use the right hand for the Fork ? :?:
I was in the states a few years ago when at dinner i was asked if I was left handed because i didn't swap over.
Pirates and 16th Century people Ate useing only the knife I know but haven't we progressed a bit since then?
You may think I'm being picky here but it is Pedants Forum after all!
Oh, and i dis-like the way US bods say Semi ..like SEM - EYE ! It's semi, like sem - eee , am I right? If not why do they say western hemisphere not W' HEM - EYE- Sphere?
( SHRUG ?)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:36 am 

Arthritic Rascal wrote:
What gets on My Goat is what happens at Awards Ceremonies !
(mostly in the US, but thats where 99.999999 % of them are held anywaze,)
Anyway, when being nominated or announced the Winner, these manner-less sods...er sorry actors mainly, Clap themselves! To Me this is the Hiieght of Bad Manners!
Even at the joke Awards like the Golden Globe they do it. I mention the AU O because it's supposed to be run by Europeans.
I've noticed that at the Oscars peole are slowly being Taught not to do this, yet when Jammie Fox was given the Gong for playing Ray Charles he clapped himself stupid.

It's the same as a Toast, when a host asks you to Charge your Glass to he/she it, the object of the Toast is obliged to sit still and recieve the honour being giving!
Oh, why do US people tuck thier napkins in their Collars?
To me it is a statement that they can't feed themselves with out flinging food left right and center!
My family is in the Eating Game and it is only Yanks, and the odd Yup that still do this !
( eating Crab legs I can understand but shirley it's not that hard ?)
Why ?

Postal note, why do Americans cut their food holding the knife in the right hand and the fork in the left? They then put down the knife and use the right hand for the Fork ? :?:
I was in the states a few years ago when at dinner i was asked if I was left handed because i didn't swap over.
Pirates and 16th Century people Ate useing only the knife I know but haven't we progressed a bit since then?
You may think I'm being picky here but it is Pedants Forum after all!
Oh, and i dis-like the way US bods say Semi ..like SEM - EYE ! It's semi, like sem - eee , am I right? If not why do they say western hemisphere not W' HEM - EYE- Sphere?
( SHRUG ?)

Why do you add a space between the end of a word and the question mark?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:59 am 

I have a question for you Arthritic Rascal, why do you take the I before E rule so literally?

Receive.

Height.

Their.

Oh yes, dislike is one word, no hyphen required.

Other errors overlooked.:wink:

So, to napkin use, you are correct, it should never be tucked in the collar:
Quote:
Your napkin is always placed somewhere within your dining territorial borders.

As soon as you are seated, unfold your napkin and place it on your lap. The napkin remains on your lap (except for use) until the end of the meal. That’s when the diners are leaving the table, not just when you finish!

http://www.formalonline.com/table-manners.html